The Feeding on Christ website has posted Jonathan Edwards' seven steps for growth in Divine knowledge. The seven steps are:
1. Be assiduous in reading the holy Scriptures.
2. Content not yourselves with only a cursory reading, without regarding the sense.
3. Procure, and diligently use other books which may help you to grow in this knowledge.
4. Improve conversation with others to this end.
5. Seek not to grow in knowledge chiefly for the sake of applause, and to enable you to dispute with others; but seek it for the benefit of your souls, and in order to practice.
6. Seek to God, that he would direct you, and bless you, in this pursuit after knowledge.
7. Practice according to what knowledge you have. This will be the way to know more.
Read the rest of the article here to see these steps explained. To know God we must seek God, we must learn of Him. We learn of Him through His Word as Edwards reminds us here and we must labour to this end. I think one reason so many Christians are so weak and all over the place spiritually is because they spend little or no effort in the work of studying the Holy Scriptures with the intent of learning of God there.