Saturday, September 29, 2012

Thoughts on grace and J. Gresham Machen

My wife and I were doing some "fall" cleaning and in the process of bagging up old stuff to throw out I found an old journal that I had written in.  The journal was 8 years old, long before God led me to the Reformed faith, long before He led me to a true understanding of the gospel.  Reading it I couldn't help notice that most of what I wrote was what I had to do, there was no real understanding of all Christ had done for me.  I was looking inward to works righteousness, not outside myself to an "alien" righteousness.  I weep in joy that He led me out of that place, off that rat wheel to the peace and freedom of living life under all the finished work of Jesus Christ.

All I can keep thinking is J. Gresham Machen's dying words, for I couldn't say it any better:
"I'm so thankful for the active obedience of Christ. No hope without it."

Modern Reformation has a great article on Machen's last words and what they mean entitled A Dying Man's Consolation, The Active & Passive Obedience of Christ.  As I think of my sin today, I am so thankful for the active obedience of Jesus, for I have no hope without it.  How about you?

Soli Deo Gloria!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment